Tenjin Bridge spans the Okawa River (Old Yodo River) at the eastern end of Nakanoshima Island. The bridge is said to have been constructed around 1594, but the bridge had no name and was called "new bridge." Since the bridge was under the control of Tenma-Tenjin Shrine, it was later named "Tenjin Bridge." In 1634, Tenjin Bridge was designated as one of the twelve Public Bridges (built and maintained with the public funds of the shogunate) in Osaka. Tenjin Bridge was popular among people as one of the "three great bridges of Naniwa," together with Tenma Bridge and Naniwa Bridge, and was depicted in a children's song: "Tenjin Bridge is long, it's very frightening to fall from the bridge." When the Revolt of Oshio Heihachiro occurred, the shogunate government destroyed the three great bridges including Tenjin Bridge to prevent the approach of rebel troops. As is evident from this story, Tenjin Bridge was one of the bridges that played important roles in early modern times. Tenjin Bridge was destroyed in the great flood of the Yodo River in 1929 and replaced three years later with an iron bridge. The new Tenjin Bridge was the road bridge with the longest span in Japan at the time of its completion in 1932. The current bridge was built in 1934, when Matsuyamachi-suji Avenu was extended. The bridge, with a total length of 210.7 m, comprises three steel arches and concrete arch at each end.
|ADDRESS||〒530-0041 Tenjinbashi 1-chome, Kita-ku, Osaka - Kitahama Higashi, Chuo-ku|
|TRANSPORTATION||6 min. walk from Tenmabashi Station of Subway Tanimachi line & Keihan railway|
|INQUIRIES||TEL : 06-6615-6818 FAX : 06-6615-6582|