Nozaki Kannon (Jigenji Temple)
|OPEN HOURS||Hondo (main hall): 9:00-16:00|
Jiganji Temple is located at the foot of Mt. Iimori, loved by the public as Nozaki-kannon-san. It enshrines an 11-faced Kanzeon Bosatsu which is said to have been carved by Gyoki. The temple was completely burnt down by the soldiers of Miyoshi and Matsunaga in the 8th year of the Eiroku Period (1565), leaving only the Kanzeon Bosatsu icon. The temple was rebuilt in the 2nd year of the Genna Period (1616) by Seigan Osho, and Nozaki-mairi became popular around Genroku and Hoei periods (1688 to 1710), making the temple itself famous. Nozaki-mairi is the practice of visiting the temple in spring and fall for houe (Buddhist service) of muenkyo (chanting of Buddhist sutra for all living things), and there is a popular belief that winning a verbal argument between those visiting by ship and those visiting by land would bring the winner happiness for the entire year. The popularity of the Nozaki-mairi is described in many documents, including Onnakoroshi-abura-no-jigoku by Monzaemon Chikamatsu, Shinpan-uta-zaimon by Hanji Chikamatsu, a rakugo titled Nozaki-mairi, Nozaki-kouta by Taro Shoji, and the love affair of Osome and Hisamatsu. Even now, from May 1st to 10th of every year, the approach from the Nozaki Station of the JR Gakkentoshi Line to the Nozaki Kannon becomes crowded with 300 fair stalls, and more than 200,000 people visit. The Shaka-nehan-zu (painting of Shaka in state of nirvana) is kept as a temple treasure, and there are other points of note within the precincts such as a stone monument inscribed with a poem by Basho Matsuo.
|ADDRESS||〒574-0015 2-7-1 Nozaki, Daito City, Osaka Pref.|
|TRANSPORTATION||8 min. walk from Nozaki Sta. of the JR Gakkentoshi Line|
Barrier-free : Seeing Eye dog, Roll-in restroom
Parking : Parking space for 20 cars
|INQUIRIES||TEL : 072-876-2324 FAX : 072-876-2373|