Jokoji Temple

Jokoji Temple

Yao is the home of Kawachi Ondo (folk music), and the orthodox Nagashibushi Seicho Kawachi Ondo, bequeathed in Jokoji Temple, is said to be the original form of this folk music. The temple's orthodox Kawachi Ondo was selected as one of the "100 soundscapes of Japan" by the former Environment Agency. Practiced by preservation group members, the distinctive style of Kawachi Ondo has been passed down from generation to generation in the temple. On August 23 and 24 every year, its sound echoes through the crowded precincts of the temple. Jokoji Temple was initially established as Shindoji Temple in 745 by Gyoki, a priest in the Nara period. Burnt down in warfare during the Northern and Southern Courts period in the 14th century, the temple was reconstructed by Matagorodayu Fujiwara Moritsugu in 1385. In 1390, after the shogun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu designated this temple as a prayer hall and bestowed a tablet inscribed "Shojitsusan Jokoji," the temple was renamed to the present name. In the Summer Battle of Osaka in 1615, Todo Takatora, a daimyo (feudal lord) who worked for the Tokugawa army, encamped this temple. He viewed enemy soldiers' heads (cut off on battlefields) at a temple's outdoor corridor, the floorboards of which, stained with blood, have been preserved as part of the temple's ceiling.

ADDRESS 〒581-0003 5-8-1 Hommachi, Yao City, Osaka Pref.
TRANSPORTATION 7 min. walk from Yao Sta. of the Kintetsu Osaka Line
ADMISSION FEE Free
FACILITIES
Parking : Available
INQUIRIES TEL : 072-922-7749 FAX : 072-933-7749
URL

MAP

PAGE TOP