Located in a part of Yuhigaoka, Isshinji Temple is a Buddhist temple of the Jodo-shu school originating from a hermitage built by St. Honen to the west of the West Gate of Shitennoji Temple in 1185. It is said that the Ex-emperor Goshirakawa performed ascetic practices in the hope of a happy life by repeating the name of Buddha while facing the setting sun. The present precincts of the temple were donated by Kodai-in, wife of Hideyoshi Toyotomi, a famous warlord in the age of provincial wars. It is known as the place where Ieyasu Tokugawa, another famous warlord of that era, was headquartered during the decisive battles in Osaka in the winter of 1614 and the summer of 1615. In addition, Isshinji Temple is also known as "temple of Buddha statues made of dead people's bones," and enshrines in its mausoleum Buddha statues made of dead people's bones. This dates back to 1887, when a Buddha statue was made from relics about 50,000 corpses which had been brought to the temple by common folks regardless of religious sect since the late Edo Period. Since then, the temple has made a Buddhist statue every ten years. Up to now, 12 such statues have been made, six of which have been made since World War II and are enshrined in the mausoleum. The temple gate and Hiso-den building are worth seeing, having been designed by the current head priest, who is also an architect.
|ADDRESS||〒543-0062 2-8-69 Osaka, Tennoji-ku, Osaka City|
|TRANSPORTATION||10 min. walk from Tennoji Sta. on the JR Loop Line, or Subway Midosuji or Tanimachi Line, or Shitennojimae Yuhigaoka Sta. on the Subway Tanimachi Line|
Restraunt : Available
Visit : Available
|INQUIRIES||TEL : 06-6771-0444|