Kisshoji Temple was built in 1630 and belongs to the Buddhist Soto sect established by Dogen, a zen priest. In the Edo period, Asano Naganori, a daimyo (feudal lord) of the Ako clan, stopped and took a rest at this temple as a prayer hall for the Asano family, on the way to Edo for sankin-kotai (alternate-year residence in Edo). Juken, the chief priest of the time born in Ako, was on friendly terms with Asano Naganori. The priest therefore constructed tombs of the Ako roshi (master-less samurai) who avenged their master Naganori, and comforted their souls. Their hair, nail, and armor were enshrined in these tombs, and cherry trees were planted around the tombstones. The temple is thus known as the temple of gishi (loyal samurai). On December 14 (on this day in 1702, the Ako roshi attacked their enemy Kira), the temple holds a memorial service, votive kendo match, and historical pageant featuring 47 gishi performed by children. The famous Uchiiri Soba ("raid" buckwheat noodles) is served. Three minutes' walk from Shitennojimae-yuhigaoka Station of Subway Tanimachi Line.