At Nakanoshima Island (around Tenjin Bridge), the Okawa River (Old Yodo River) divides into two branches. The one on the north side of the island is called Dojima River. In 1688, the first year of the Genroku era of the Edo period, river improvement works were carried out by Zuiken Kawamura, a wealthy merchant who came from Mie Prefecture and who contributed greatly to the development of marine transportation and flood control on the Yodo River. In Zuiken's Dojima River improvement program, the Shinchi area was created by reclaiming a wetland so that private houses could be built. Five bridges (Oe, Watanabe, Tamino, Tamae and Funatsu) were constructed over the Dojima River, making the transport of goods easier and faster. In the area between Oe Bridge and Watanabe Bridge, the Dojima Rice Market was opened, supporting the development of the Dojima area as a commercial center. In the morning of July 24 each year, a Shinto ritual called "Hokonagashi Shinji," which starts the Tenjin Festival, is held on the Dojima River. Located here and there around this area are various retro buildings, including Osaka City Central Public Hall, Nakanoshima Library, and the Bank of Japan's Osaka Branch on Nakanoshima Island. Take a leisurely stroll and enjoy Osaka's retro architecture.
|ADDRESS||〒530-0005 Around Nakanoshima, Kita-ku, Osaka|
|TRANSPORTATION||A short walk from "Yodoyabashi Sta." on Subway Midosuji Line, "Kitahama Sta." on Subway Sakaisuji Line or Keihan Line|